Thursday, May 6, 2010

Beyond rice flour...

When I first started baking gluten-free, it was all about the rice flour. I substituted rice flour with xanthan gum for wheat flour and got reasonably good results. As I learned a bit more, I created a standard blend of rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, and xanthan gum, and only sometimes added teff, sorghum, or millet flour for fun. Lately, I've been getting tired of the whiteness of it all, and I'm thinking of phasing out white rice flour from my diet. That glycemic index can't be good...

For the past few weeks, my standard "white" flour blend has been sorghum + tapioca + potato starch, and I think it keeps things a bit softer and more flavorful. I'm going to experiment to see how low I can drop the tapioca and potato starch in favor of more sorghum, millet, maybe even soy flour...Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment