Thursday, May 6, 2010

Ode to applesauce

Remember back in the early 90s when everyone wanted to cook everything low-fat? I read so many recipes telling me to replace the oil with applesauce, but I never did it. Now, I have discovered for myself what a difference a little unsweetened applesauce can make, especially when baking without eggs.

If you've noticed that your baked goods are great when fresh, but go dry within a few hours, consider adding 1/4 cup applesauce. I have found that you don't really need to cut down on the liquid when adding applesauce; usually, you can just bake a few minutes longer and everything will come out fine.

While I'm sure that one could use applesauce as a wonderful oil/butter replacement, I wouldn't cut down too much on the oil or margarine in gluten-free vegan cooking unless you have a medical reason. After all, we're cutting out enough already, aren't we?

No comments:

Post a Comment