Saturday, October 2, 2010

Gluten free vegan pumpkin pie!

Yummmm, pumpkin pie...as the air gets cooler and the trees start to drop their leaves, I start thinking of pumpkin pie. I erase the thought from my head, thinking of the flour, butter, eggs, and milk that went into my pies of yesteryear. But then I get to thinking that maybe it is doable. I still have frozen pumpkin puree from last year's Halloween pumpkins, and so I strike out on a mission. Success, and I didn't have to do much innovation of my own--just combining a GF crust with a vegan filling!!!

The crust: http://www.glutenfreehomemaker.com/2009/10/gluten-free-pie-crust.html. We used sorghum instead of millet, flax instead of egg, and Earth Balance vegetable shortening instead of butter.

Pumpkin pie filling: http://veganconnection.com/recipes//pumpkin_pie.htm. We used soymilk, brown sugar, and potato starch instead of cornstarch. The note about it needing to set overnight is true, but we ignored it and enjoyed mushy pie the first night, and then well-set pie for breakfast in the morning! (My daughter explained that pumpkin is a vegetable, rich in vitamin A and beta carotene, so why NOT enjoy it for breakfast?)

No comments:

Post a Comment